- RECENT ARTICLES
- Is there a way to degrade plastic?
- What biodegradable material possesses the hardness of conventional plastic?
- What wearables are revolutionizing the dairy industry?
- How can renewable energy technologies support mining and drilling?
- What are the top 5 cryptocurrencies and blockchain-enabled technologies on the market?
- TagsAnnamite mountains Automotive cars Chinese Academy of Sciences computer science Electrical Engineering & Electronics electric vehicle electromagnetic Electronic components sector electronics energy Gaming health Health and pharmaceutical sector High-Tech-Chemicals imaging Internal Body Monitoring Inventions Julius-Maximilian's University of Würzburg laser leeches DNA light waves Measurement and Microsystems Measurement technology & Microsystems Medicine microchip Military MIT nuclear energy pharmaceutical photography photon Physical analytics Physical measurement and test technology power saola antelope Security Stanford University Technical University of Munich Textile sector University of Bayreuth University of Cambride University of Copenhagen UT Dallas x-ray
Subscribe to The PreScouter JournalPowered by EmailOctopus
What are the top 5 cryptocurrencies and blockchain-enabled technologies on the market?
An exploration of cryptocurrencies and the blockchain technology would not be complete without looking at the various players currently operating within this diverse market. Ranging from cryptocurrencies to payment and digital platforms, the possibilities are varied and increasing rapidly. Most people will have heard of Bitcoin and Ethereum, but with more than 900-1200 cryptocurrencies available as of July 2017 for trade in the global marketplace, and with new companies entering the market continuously to capture the explosive growth that is anticipated, navigating this market can be quite tricky.
In terms of size , the largest blockchain networks are (in order), Bitcoin, followed by Ethereum, the recently forked Bitcoin Cash, Ripple, and Litecoin. A handy graphic depicting and comparing the large players in this ecosystem can be found on Visual Capitalist. A brief description of these cryptocurrencies follows:
The original cryptocurrency and the largest with an 8 year track record, Bitcoin was released in 2009 by an anonymous individual or group known as Satoshi Nakamoto. In August 2017, bitcoin split into two derivative digital currencies, the classic bitcoin (BTC) and the Bitcoin Cash (BCH). Today, BitCoin is available for trade globally, and recently experienced a massive boom in valuation (reaching above $5000 before coming down again) after recent upgrades and the fork.
The second most well known blockchain-enabled technology is Ethereum. Ethereum is, according to Open Source, is
“A decentralized platform that runs smart contracts. The project was bootstrapped via an ether pre-sale during August 2014 by fans all around the world. It is developed by the Ethereum Foundation, a Swiss nonprofit, with contributions from great minds across the globe.”
Beyond a tradeable cryptocurrency, ether (Ethereum’s cryptocurrency) can be used to pay for transaction fees and services on the Ethereum network. Many experts predict that Ethereum will overtake Bitcoin as the world’s top cryptocurrency soon.
Litecoin was launched in 2011, in an attempt to rival Bitcoin by using algorithms that allowed for mining on regular, unspecialized hardware. As one of the early cryptocurrencies, Litecoin benefits from name recognition and strong network effects.
“Ripple positions itself as a complement to, rather than a competitor with, Bitcoin.”
Launched a few years ago, Ripple is now being used by commercial institutions around the world, and focuses on deploying scalable blockchain technology to connect payment providers, banks, digital asset exchanges and businesses through RippleNet to provide a frictionless experience when sending money globally. Backed by major venture capital firms like Andreessen Horowitz, FF Angel IV, Lightspeed Venture Partners, Vast Ventures and the Bitcoin Opportunity Fund, Ripple’s use and value should continue to appreciate.
Dash is a cryptocurrency focused on improving the speed of transactions and anonymity. Aimed as a direct competitor to Bitcoin, Dash has advanced capabilities, including instant transactions (InstantSend), private transactions (PrivateSend), and decentralized governance (DGBB). Dash’s decentralized governance and budgeting system makes it the first decentralized autonomous organization. Dash works on a two tier architecture that includes miners and “masternodes” to offer these advanced capabilities. Focused more on improving user experience and privacy, Dash’s innovations will help evolve the marketplace.
The Take Away
This profile has only focused on some of the major players in this sector. With more than 1000 cryptocurrencies, and even more blockchain-enabled applications and services available globally, navigating and analysing this marketplace is a complex task. The only certainty is that these technologies will change the way we process transactions, whether they be for financial applications or for others (e.g. voting).
Image courtesy of pixabay.com
Sofiane is one of PreScouter's Project Architects. He specializes in the financial industry. His responsibilities include managing the overall project and scholar team to ensure successful project outcomes for our clients. Sofiane earned his B.S. in Materials Science and Engineering from The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, and his Ph.D. in Materials Science and Engineering from the Georgia Institute of Technology. His research focus was in nanotechnology and energy storage. Since graduating from Georgia Tech, he has worked as an emerging technology and business strategy consultant at several firms and for his own clients.
Latest posts by Sofiane Boukhalfa (see all)
- What are the top 5 cryptocurrencies and blockchain-enabled technologies on the market? - October 3, 2017
- What emerging technologies will improve the semiconductor industry? - September 26, 2017
- Insights into the State of the Chip Market in 2017 - September 14, 2017