- RECENT ARTICLES
- CancerSEEK: A single blood test for early detection of eight cancer types
- Are plant stem cell-based technologies the future of anti-aging skincare?
- The Best Tools to Maximize Sales Revenue from Your Existing Leads
- Infographic: 10 Quick Facts About Lentein
- New device works to trap blood clots and prevent strokes
- TagsAnnamite mountains Automotive Automotive sector cars Chinese Academy of Sciences computer science Electrical Engineering & Electronics electric vehicle electromagnetic Electronic components sector electronics energy health Health and pharmaceutical sector High-Tech-Chemicals imaging Internal Body Monitoring Inventions Julius-Maximilian's University of Würzburg laser leeches DNA light waves Measurement and Microsystems Measurement technology & Microsystems Medicine microchip Military MIT nuclear energy pharmaceutical photography photon Physical analytics Physical measurement and test technology power saola antelope Security Stanford University Technical University of Munich Textile sector University of Bayreuth University of Cambride University of Copenhagen UT Dallas x-ray
Subscribe to The PreScouter JournalPowered by EmailOctopus
Quantum Communication Strong in China
Last Sunday, Chinese government officials and scientists announced the world’s first ultra-secure quantum encrypted network, to be used in Jinan, in the Shandong Province, between governments and Party offices. The system reportedly cost up to $20 million to implement, and has been in testing mode since May to validate the approach.
The network has exchanged secure telephone calls, faxes and files – with a success rate of more than 99 percent, Liu Hong, a professor at Shandong University who was involved in the testing, told Xinhua News Agency.
Jinan hosts the world’s largest and most versatile metropolitan area network for researching and testing quantum communication on a citywide scale, according to Xinhua News Agency, and will most likely be used as a development platform for future research into this area of communication.
According to Wang Jianyu, a quantum researcher at the Chinese Academy of Sciences: “Quantum communication is regarded as the most secure because its encryption is based on quantum entanglement, in which two or more subatomic particles affect each other simultaneously, regardless of the distance between them”. Quantum communication permits more secure communications, as potential eavesdroppers will alter the state of entanglement, and thus alert the authorities of this fact.
China has been very active in this space in the past couple of years. For example, China launched Micius, last year. It is the world’s first quantum satellite, capable of transmitting information from space. A couple of days ago, Chinese scientists used Micius to claim the record for the longest distance over which entanglement has been measured, using this network to transmit information between earth and Micius. China has also built a 2,000-kilometer land-based quantum link between Beijing and Shanghai. The link is the longest in the world and runs through Jinan and Hefei, Anhui province.
With its strong potential for security and speed in transferring information, quantum communication is another emerging technology that will affect numerous industries as it becomes more developed. China has put in the investment and effort to possess an enormous advantage in this sector compared to other countries.
Image courtesy of pixabay.com
Sofiane is one of PreScouter's Project Architects. He leads the financial and professional services and high-tech verticals at PreScouter. Sofiane earned his B.S. in Materials Science and Engineering from The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, and his Ph.D. in Materials Science and Engineering from the Georgia Institute of Technology. His research focus was in nanotechnology and energy storage. After graduating from Georgia Tech, he worked as an emerging technology and business strategy consultant at several firms and for his own clients before joining PreScouter.
Latest posts by Sofiane Boukhalfa (see all)
- The Best Tools to Maximize Sales Revenue from Your Existing Leads - February 12, 2018
- These advanced technologies are reshaping semiconductor fabs - February 5, 2018
- PreScouter Case Study: Late-Stage Technologies that Minimize Financial Risk - December 6, 2017