JOURNAL

Growing New Teeth in the Mouth Using Stem-Cell Dental Implants

By Shinji Tutoru July 26th, 2015 |

COLUMBIA UNIVERSITY MEDICAL CENTER, NY, USA. Human molar scaffolding is a technique that directs the body’s stem cells into scaffolding that will assist in regenerating a new tooth. This innovation can immensely alleviate the need to go through the painful, expensive and tedious process of dental implants.

Edwin S. Robinson Professor of Dentistry at Columbia University and Co-Director for the Center for Craniofacial Regeneration, Dr. Jeremy Mao has developed a growth factor-infused, three-dimensional scaffold that has the capability of regenerating an anatomically correct tooth in a span of 9 weeks from the date of implantation. He used a method that was developed in the university’s Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine Laboratory. He can direct the body’s own stem cells towards the three-dimensional scaffold which is made of natural materials. Hence, the stem cells will naturally colonize the scaffold, enabling a tooth to grow in the socket and merge with the surrounding tissue.

Dr. Mao’s technique has successfully eliminated the need to grow new teeth in a Petri dish. Also, it is the first technique ever to successfully achieve the regeneration of an anatomically correct tooth with the use of the body’s innate resources. This method definitely has a faster recovery time compared to current dental implant procedures. Also, its natural process of regeneration is more appealing and enticing. Currently, Dr. Mao is testing different ways in applying his technique to make it more cost-effective in clinical therapies.

Invention Growing New Teeth in the Mouth Using Stem-Cell Dental Implants
Organization Columbia University Medical Center
Researcher Doctor Jeremy Mao & Team
Field(s) Stem cells, Tooth regeneration, Cartilage regeneration, Bone regeneration, Biomaterials, Orthodontic tooth movement, TMJ, Ligament/Tendon regeneration, adipose tissue, Dermal fibroblasts, Stem cell biology, Tissue engineering and wound healing
Further Information http://futurism.com/new-adult-teeth-can-now-be-regrown-in-your-mouth/

Please note: PreScouter provides secondary research and is not associated with the experiments or getting volunteers.

Image courtesy of pixabay.com

Shinji Tutoru

Shinji Tutoru

Shinji has been writing for The PreScouter Journal since 2012. He writes about new science discoveries and innovations involving 3D printers, biofuels, and other breakthroughs in renewable energy.
Shinji Tutoru

Shinji Tutoru

About Shinji Tutoru

90 responses to “Growing New Teeth in the Mouth Using Stem-Cell Dental Implants”

1. Aaron Nielsen says:

They’ve actually filed the patents for this now. it works. When they reported in 2010 they still didnt know if the tooth would be grown in or out of the mouth or if it would be connected to the nervous system. Also this says that it pulls stem cells from the body. In 2010 it was all about actually inserting them into the scaffold from some other source. So the tech seems to be coming along nice. Now i think, It’s just a matter of practical application. How to make it a cheap enough procedure to make it comercially viable and attainable for a big enough market. Clinical trials will hopefully start within the next 1 or 2 years.

• James B says:

That’s amazing that you know the info. I’ve been reading some of the papers relating to this but I really am not sure how to understand the differences between what’s been happening then and now. I understand developments have been made in creating a tooth in a mouse model, and then a swine. Looking forward to when this takes off in humans. I think I read the teeth at first may be a “first generation” solution – as in they don’t look like perfect teeth but you could put a crown on them.

• sathya says:

when it reaches clinical trials after that how many days will it take to reach to the public

2. Richard Prest says:

Hello and it’s about time that this issue has been addressed, I have been without natural teeth for decades. I have worn dentures both uppers and lowers, but now my mandible has suffered so much bone lost that a new denture without implants is not possible. Can your method using stem cells regenerate new teeth

3. moraru carmen carmen moraru says:

in EUROPA exista contract cu clinici pt. implant dentarcu celule stem?
    UNDE SE POT FACE?

4. Jennifer says:

I would love to volunteer for this procedure. Please let me know if this is a possibility.

5. Raisa Gonciar says:

That us what I AM LOOKING FOR.
    In so much NEED to apply Dr.Jeremy MAO revolutionary tech.
    PLEASE HELP.
    Namaste
    Blessings

• Amanda Elliott Amanda Elliott says:

Thank you for reading The PreScouter Journal. Please note we are not conducting trials, we are reporting on research in this article.

6. Donna 7144548506. says:

I would love to volunteer for this procedure. Pls contact me. I hv 2 missing front tooth need this procedure.

7. Suzan says:

Could I volunteere for this procedure, please . Let me know if possible

• Amanda Elliott Amanda Elliott says:

Thank you for reading the PreScouter Journal. Please note we are not conducting trials, we are reporting on research in this article.

8. Christine Ewing says:

I want to be a clinical trial..where do i sign up?

• Amanda Elliott Amanda Elliott says:

9. […] A team from Columbia University led by Dr. Jeremy Mao made the amazing discovery, where they built a ‘scaffold’ for the tooth made of stem cells, the new tooth could then grow over the template. […]

10. […] A team from Columbia University led by Dr. Jeremy Mao made the amazing discovery, where they built a ‘scaffold’ for the tooth made of stem cells, the new tooth could then grow over the template. […]

11. Karen rapport says:

I have always disliked my teeth. Numerous metal fillings need to come out, so I’ve asked all my dentists to yank my teeth and I’d have dentures. My teeth don’t match, they are painful and I don’t want to spend my entire retirement on new teeth. I love to promote products and things and I think this might be the answer to my teeth dilemma .
    Please contact me if you need a mouth to show and teach,
    Karenita

• Amanda Elliott Amanda Elliott says:

12. […] A team from Columbia University led by Dr. Jeremy Mao made the amazing discovery, where they built a ‘scaffold’ for the tooth made of stem cells, the new tooth could then grow over the template. […]

13. […] A team from Columbia University led by Dr. Jeremy Mao made the amazing discovery, where they built a ‘scaffold’ for the tooth made of stem cells, the new tooth could then grow over the template. […]

14. […] A team from Columbia University led by Dr. Jeremy Mao made the amazing discovery, where they built a ‘scaffold’ for the tooth made of stem cells, the new tooth could then grow over the template. […]

15. Chandra says:

Has this service been started successfully now?

16. Maricar Delgado says:

I would love to volunteer

• Amanda Elliott Amanda Elliott says:

17. […] A team from Columbia University led by Dr. Jeremy Mao made the amazing discovery, where they built a ‘scaffold’ for the tooth made of stem cells, the new tooth could then grow over the template. […]

18. […] A team from Columbia University led by Dr. Jeremy Mao made the amazing discovery, where they built a ‘scaffold’ for the tooth made of stem cells, the new tooth could then grow over the template. […]

19. Are there clinical trials in Boston, MA? If so, whom can I contact?

20. conrad church says:

l would also like to volunteer for this procedure. I am in the process of entertaining the idea of some implants.

Thanks
    Conrad

21. Sharon Jones says:

I’m up for a trial run I was in desert storm in1990. Soon after my teeth rapidly declined. I had to have most removed. I wear dentures but they wear down too. Love to be a guinea pig.

22. Julia Walker says:

I would love to be a part of this research. I have a full denture in the top and a bridge on the left lower part of my mouth. I have a lot of problems with both. I would love to try and get my own teeth back. I have a lot of problems eating because of this.

23. Barbara Hudson says:

I would be willing to volunteer. I’m struggling so hard with dentures.

• Willaim says:

We get that. What everyone is wanting to know is who to contact for volunteering in human trials. Surely someone has somme sort of info in this matter

• Amanda Elliott Amanda Elliott says:

Stay tuned…we are working on gathering all the information related to the clinical trials. Hopefully, our coming article will shed more light on how close this is to realization.

24. […] A team from Columbia University led by Dr. Jeremy Mao made the amazing discovery, where they built a ‘scaffold’ for the tooth made of stem cells, the new tooth could then grow over the template. […]

25. Cristina says:

Please contact me if they are doing clinical trial on humans, I want to be a VOLUNTEER.

26. Shannon Stewart says:

My husband has lost nearly all his teeth and can not wear dentures because of extreme gag reflex. Is there a trial that he could volunteer for??

27. Israel lopez says:

Would like to volunteer if possible

28. Me Anderson says:

Certainly, if you can generate teeth, can you also stimulate bone growth in the mandible? Do to a dentist error, and infection in my upper jaw, i lost my upper teath… can’t have implants because upper bone is to thin. Love science, so many new and wonderful procedures to help with human kind ailments. Interesting read!

29. Mary hayes says:

I would love to be a candidate thank you!!

30. Caroline Russell says:

I want to be in the trails!

31. Alta says:

Is volunteers considered?

32. Davyd arend says:

i would love to volunteer for this thank you

• Amanda Elliott Amanda Elliott says:

33. […] A team from Columbia University led by Dr. Jeremy Mao made the amazing discovery, where they built a ‘scaffold’ for the tooth made of stem cells, the new tooth could then grow over the template. […]

34. […] recently a team from Columbia University led by Dr. Jeremy Mao made an astonishing discovery. They actually built a ‘scaffold’ for the tooth made of stem […]

35. Gale Parker says:

I would love to volunteer for this procedure please contact me as soon as possible.
    Gale

36. […] leader of a team from Columbian University, Dr. Jeremy Mao came up with the wildest futuristic discovery. He claims that there is a way to […]

37. Teresa Dillard says:

I, have been a part of the ” grey area” of stem cell since 2000. My granddaughters doctor,Madrid. Joanne Kurtzberg, from New York, invented a protocol for human unrelated cord blood stem cell infusion transplants, on children with genetic/ metabolic diseases and so my little baby was born with a terminal disorder ,MPS 1. All doctors gave me no hope. I searched and stayed up late, going through the Internet,mand so I came up on Dr. Joanne Kurtzberg and Dr. Paul Martin, who had practiced this protocol at Duke University Hospital. Kylie was transplanted after extensive chemotherapy of very high doses that destroyed her immune system and so Kylie,,not having any siblings, got a 5/6 unrelated cord blood match on June the 22nd of 2001. It was hard, but I understand you don’t have to destroy the patient’s own immune system, it’s probably news own stem cell. I would be interested in paying for, being a part of, this protocol. I was raised very poor but knew one day I would go to college and help others. I have live, breathed ,my granddaughter, and yet I struggle with bad teeth that crumble and have several missing from not having good foods or help when growing up as a child. I was a teacher ,I worked with children with special needs, disabilities, until I was diagnosed with MS. I still tutor free as I can, from m home. Please contact me when you start up the process. Sincerely and respectfully, Teresa Dillard

38. NotAgain57 says:

There’s this – http://www.mccormick.northwestern.edu/news/articles/2016/09/promising-biomaterial-to-build-better-bones-with-3d-printing.html we’re so close to this being a reality that so many of us have been hoping for. I sent an email to Ms. Shah about if they’ve started trials or have thought of using it for this, this is the only thing that has held this back is that they couldn’t figure out a way to get the tissue and blood vessels that the teeth need to regrow and what she’s come up with actually draws the vessels needed to the 3d structures for bone growth and hopefully teeth as well.

• Michael says:

Let me know if you ever hear anything. So basically, if they apply what Ms.Shah’s doing for bone to teeth, they’re basically set and ready to grow a tooth, or would they still need to figure out problems with the tissue? Or does Ms.Shah’s approach only solve the blood vessel problem and not the tissue problem?

I thought I read somewhere quoting Mao that they were in the final stages of this, so I’m wondering if these two thing’s you listed (tissue/blood vessels) were the last challenges roadblocks for them.

39. Hector says:

I would like to volunteer for that grow your own teeth.

40. Laura Bond says:

How do I sign up for the Clinical Trials… I have a few teeth that could use this. Barbaric old schoold dentistry has ruined my teeth.

41. Michael says:

Wonder if this says anything to help at all

42. Senan harte says:

I would love 2 volunteer for any clinical trial for growing new teeth please keep me updated on when and if clinical trials are starting.

43. Amit kumar says:

I would like to be volunteer

44. Dior says:

I think there is a very strong body that prevents the technique from happening. We’ve been talking about it for years and nothing happens. 80% of dentists do more harm than good!!

• Lisa says:

I want to volunteer please!!!

• Amanda Elliott Amanda Elliott says:

We appreciate your interest in this article. However, we are only explaining the science behind it. PreScouter does not have, in any way, a connection or affiliation with the scientist or lab conducting trials. Thank you and have a great day.

45. Todd Mousel says:

I have no teeth, can I get help, I have Medicare & Medicaid, I am on fixed income, can barely pay my rent,

46. Todd Mousel says:

I would love to have this procedure done, but no $

47. Patricia says:

48. […] leader of a team from Columbian University, Dr. Jeremy Mao came up with the wildest futuristic discovery. He claims that there is a way to […]

49. […] leader of a team from Columbian University, Dr. Jeremy Mao came up with the wildest futuristic discovery. He claims that there is a way to […]

50. […] A team from Columbia University led by Dr. Jeremy Mao made the amazing discovery, where they built a ‘scaffold’ for the tooth made of stem cells, the new tooth could then grow over the template. […]

51. […] A team from Columbia University led by Dr. Jeremy Mao made the amazing discovery, where they built a ‘scaffold’ for the tooth made of stem cells, the new tooth could then grow over the template. […]

52. Wendy Anderson says:

Dear Dr. Jeremy Mao & Team,
    Thank you very much for your informative hopeful article regarding three dimensional scaffoid stem cells for teeth. This is an intelligent idea of course with your recondition that teeth need to move in the mouth impresses me as well as informing people about the stiffness of traditional implants, infections etc… I am twice prepped for crowns which I did not except because I was drilled so much they all hurt and I was miss drilled backwards because I have a longer jaw bone on one side with longer teeth one that side, shorter jaw and shorter teeth on the other, like a name I invented a Frank Loyd Right mouth, that was drilled to be a Traditional square box mouth, of course that did not work and no discussion was given to me as well as no bite splint, basically I was drilled blindly Twice. I have been like this for years, making my own temporary full mouth splints on all 28 teeth. I use Floride several times a day to prevent cavities. My gifted friend saw after all this that my mouth was longer with a longer jaw on one side, due to his mathematical studies, he told me, implants, crowns or dentures will not work for me that my solution is Stem Cells because of the type of mouth I have. I would love for your team to learn about this type of mouth, with a roof longer on one side holding up the other. Only my natural teeth size and shape will properly comfortably correct this. I should of never been drilled. I am great in a dental chair, I can be in it for hours from experience, I open wide and I am retired so time is no issue. I am requesting to be your human study. Please call me and or email me for a private interview. I am a private person and will follow your guidelines for privacy. Thank you again for your teams hard work, this will help humanity, it means so much to me, today is my Birthday and your doing this work is a gift for me. Thank you Sincerely Wendy Anderson

53. Dear Dr. Jeremy Mao & Team 10/23/63
    I wanted to Thank you and Dr. Edward V. Zegarelli for your wonderful very important work. I appreciate your Three dimensional scaffoid for stem cell teeth. I was recommended by my gifted friend Steven Scott Smillie that through his mathematical studies saw that my mouth has a longer jaw on one side of my mouth with longer teeth molars on that side, and a shorter jaw bone with shorter molars on the other side. He saw this after I was already Twice drilled for crowns. I was not given a splint to see if case would work out, it did not because I was drilled all the way down leaving only small amount of dentin and drilled backwards turning what we call my Frank Lloyd Mouth having a tall roof on one side holding up the shorter wall. The drilling was to make my mouth a square box house with walls the same height, of course this did not work with my bone structures. My gifted friend had me go to an oral surgeon years ago whom confirmed my 5mm longer side which the oral surgeon did not see by looking, Scott had to talk him into measuring. I did not get my crowns because they would not fit. I have been like this with preps for years, I make my own temps to protect teeth and floride them several times a day. I think I would be a great human study for you and your team. I have nothing to loose, I am great in a chair and I can open wide, I have lots of experience in a dental chair. I have not problem relocating to any location, I am retired therefore time is no issue. I see your knowledge is right on, teeth need to have some movement or give in a mouth, and with a mouth like mine it will prove that traditional means crowns, implants and dentures do not work for many. I have been studying or I should say observing that many have jaws and teeth molars and premolars with different lenths, from genetics,,etc.. Maybe accidents too etc… The work your doing is very important for humanity and will stop the suffering of many. If you need a human study I am a great candidate for you, I have been to countless dentists and they always want to drill, I have nothing left to drill, I need to be rebuilt. If there is a spot for me, I am a private person, that will keep your studies private. I understand the complexities involved and the time needed for you. Today is my birthday and my gifted friend shared this article with me and I decided to reach out. I am originally from the east coast and have no issues traveling or even living at the facility or near it where ever it may be located. Thank you again for sharing this article, this is most important for humanity and I can not tell you how much it means to me that your team is working on this. Thank you.

54. Lisa says:

Please when is this gonna happen there’s so many people that have been waiting patiently for years and they are running out of time.Im one of them been missing two teeth for three years can’t have implants. Please help

55. Ramiro cedeno says:

I just lost one of my back tooth and I would love to try to regrow it I wish I can volunteer for more research

56. Rose says:

I would love to volunteer. I do have some major dental problems due to dehydration caused by thyroid condition.

57. Aparna says:

I consider myself as trial option. If you want contact me. Because my present situation egarly created one of stupid dentist.

58. Amazng , amazing I would love to sign up for clinical trials. I will watch this development closely. Thanks for the amazing work , to all involved.

59. Amanda Elliott Amanda Elliott says:

Thank you for reading the PreScouter Journal. Please note WE ARE NOT conducting trials, we are reporting on research in this article.

60. Qussay says:

Great … approximatly when will this proceedure success and become available in dental feild ?

61. Katrina says:

When you do start conducting clinical trials, I would like to be considered for your natural stem cell growth study.
    Thank you. ~Colorado

62. Sharon Neale says:

I am very interested in clinical trial for regrowing teeth.