JOURNAL

Growing New Teeth in the Mouth Using Stem-Cell Dental Implants

By Shinji Tutoru July 26th, 2015 |

COLUMBIA UNIVERSITY MEDICAL CENTER, NY, USA. Human molar scaffolding is a technique that directs the body’s stem cells into scaffolding that will assist in regenerating a new tooth. This innovation can immensely alleviate the need to go through the painful, expensive and tedious process of dental implants.

Edwin S. Robinson Professor of Dentistry at Columbia University and Co-Director for the Center for Craniofacial Regeneration, Dr. Jeremy Mao has developed a growth factor-infused, three-dimensional scaffold that has the capability of regenerating an anatomically correct tooth in a span of 9 weeks from the date of implantation. He used a method that was developed in the university’s Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine Laboratory. He can direct the body’s own stem cells towards the three-dimensional scaffold which is made of natural materials. Hence, the stem cells will naturally colonize the scaffold, enabling a tooth to grow in the socket and merge with the surrounding tissue.

Dr. Mao’s technique has successfully eliminated the need to grow new teeth in a Petri dish. Also, it is the first technique ever to successfully achieve the regeneration of an anatomically correct tooth with the use of the body’s innate resources. This method definitely has a faster recovery time compared to current dental implant procedures. Also, its natural process of regeneration is more appealing and enticing. Currently, Dr. Mao is testing different ways in applying his technique to make it more cost-effective in clinical therapies.

Invention Growing New Teeth in the Mouth Using Stem-Cell Dental Implants
Organization Columbia University Medical Center
Researcher Doctor Jeremy Mao & Team
Field(s) Stem cells, Tooth regeneration, Cartilage regeneration, Bone regeneration, Biomaterials, Orthodontic tooth movement, TMJ, Ligament/Tendon regeneration, adipose tissue, Dermal fibroblasts, Stem cell biology, Tissue engineering and wound healing
Further Information http://futurism.com/new-adult-teeth-can-now-be-regrown-in-your-mouth/

Please note: PreScouter provides secondary research and is not associated with the experiments or getting volunteers.

Image courtesy of pixabay.com

Shinji Tutoru

Shinji Tutoru

Shinji has been writing for The PreScouter Journal since 2012. He writes about new science discoveries and innovations involving 3D printers, biofuels, and other breakthroughs in renewable energy.
Shinji Tutoru

Shinji Tutoru

About Shinji Tutoru

56 responses to “Growing New Teeth in the Mouth Using Stem-Cell Dental Implants”

1. Aaron Nielsen says:

They’ve actually filed the patents for this now. it works. When they reported in 2010 they still didnt know if the tooth would be grown in or out of the mouth or if it would be connected to the nervous system. Also this says that it pulls stem cells from the body. In 2010 it was all about actually inserting them into the scaffold from some other source. So the tech seems to be coming along nice. Now i think, It’s just a matter of practical application. How to make it a cheap enough procedure to make it comercially viable and attainable for a big enough market. Clinical trials will hopefully start within the next 1 or 2 years.

• James B says:

That’s amazing that you know the info. I’ve been reading some of the papers relating to this but I really am not sure how to understand the differences between what’s been happening then and now. I understand developments have been made in creating a tooth in a mouse model, and then a swine. Looking forward to when this takes off in humans. I think I read the teeth at first may be a “first generation” solution – as in they don’t look like perfect teeth but you could put a crown on them.

2. Richard Prest says:

Hello and it’s about time that this issue has been addressed, I have been without natural teeth for decades. I have worn dentures both uppers and lowers, but now my mandible has suffered so much bone lost that a new denture without implants is not possible. Can your method using stem cells regenerate new teeth

3. moraru carmen carmen moraru says:

in EUROPA exista contract cu clinici pt. implant dentarcu celule stem?
    UNDE SE POT FACE?

4. Jennifer says:

I would love to volunteer for this procedure. Please let me know if this is a possibility.

5. Raisa Gonciar says:

That us what I AM LOOKING FOR.
    In so much NEED to apply Dr.Jeremy MAO revolutionary tech.
    PLEASE HELP.
    Namaste
    Blessings

• Amanda Elliott Amanda Elliott says:

Thank you for reading The PreScouter Journal. Please note we are not conducting trials, we are reporting on research in this article.

6. Donna 7144548506. says:

I would love to volunteer for this procedure. Pls contact me. I hv 2 missing front tooth need this procedure.

7. Suzan says:

Could I volunteere for this procedure, please . Let me know if possible

• Amanda Elliott Amanda Elliott says:

Thank you for reading the PreScouter Journal. Please note we are not conducting trials, we are reporting on research in this article.

8. Christine Ewing says:

I want to be a clinical trial..where do i sign up?

• Amanda Elliott Amanda Elliott says:

9. […] A team from Columbia University led by Dr. Jeremy Mao made the amazing discovery, where they built a ‘scaffold’ for the tooth made of stem cells, the new tooth could then grow over the template. […]

10. […] A team from Columbia University led by Dr. Jeremy Mao made the amazing discovery, where they built a ‘scaffold’ for the tooth made of stem cells, the new tooth could then grow over the template. […]

11. Karen rapport says:

I have always disliked my teeth. Numerous metal fillings need to come out, so I’ve asked all my dentists to yank my teeth and I’d have dentures. My teeth don’t match, they are painful and I don’t want to spend my entire retirement on new teeth. I love to promote products and things and I think this might be the answer to my teeth dilemma .
    Please contact me if you need a mouth to show and teach,
    Karenita

• Amanda Elliott Amanda Elliott says:

12. […] A team from Columbia University led by Dr. Jeremy Mao made the amazing discovery, where they built a ‘scaffold’ for the tooth made of stem cells, the new tooth could then grow over the template. […]

13. […] A team from Columbia University led by Dr. Jeremy Mao made the amazing discovery, where they built a ‘scaffold’ for the tooth made of stem cells, the new tooth could then grow over the template. […]

14. […] A team from Columbia University led by Dr. Jeremy Mao made the amazing discovery, where they built a ‘scaffold’ for the tooth made of stem cells, the new tooth could then grow over the template. […]

15. Chandra says:

Has this service been started successfully now?

16. Maricar Delgado says:

I would love to volunteer

• Amanda Elliott Amanda Elliott says:

17. […] A team from Columbia University led by Dr. Jeremy Mao made the amazing discovery, where they built a ‘scaffold’ for the tooth made of stem cells, the new tooth could then grow over the template. […]

18. […] A team from Columbia University led by Dr. Jeremy Mao made the amazing discovery, where they built a ‘scaffold’ for the tooth made of stem cells, the new tooth could then grow over the template. […]

19. Are there clinical trials in Boston, MA? If so, whom can I contact?

20. conrad church says:

l would also like to volunteer for this procedure. I am in the process of entertaining the idea of some implants.

Thanks
    Conrad

21. Sharon Jones says:

I’m up for a trial run I was in desert storm in1990. Soon after my teeth rapidly declined. I had to have most removed. I wear dentures but they wear down too. Love to be a guinea pig.

22. Julia Walker says:

I would love to be a part of this research. I have a full denture in the top and a bridge on the left lower part of my mouth. I have a lot of problems with both. I would love to try and get my own teeth back. I have a lot of problems eating because of this.

23. Barbara Hudson says:

I would be willing to volunteer. I’m struggling so hard with dentures.

• Amanda Elliott Amanda Elliott says:

24. […] A team from Columbia University led by Dr. Jeremy Mao made the amazing discovery, where they built a ‘scaffold’ for the tooth made of stem cells, the new tooth could then grow over the template. […]

25. Cristina says:

Please contact me if they are doing clinical trial on humans, I want to be a VOLUNTEER.

26. Shannon Stewart says:

My husband has lost nearly all his teeth and can not wear dentures because of extreme gag reflex. Is there a trial that he could volunteer for??

27. Israel lopez says:

Would like to volunteer if possible

28. Me Anderson says:

Certainly, if you can generate teeth, can you also stimulate bone growth in the mandible? Do to a dentist error, and infection in my upper jaw, i lost my upper teath… can’t have implants because upper bone is to thin. Love science, so many new and wonderful procedures to help with human kind ailments. Interesting read!

29. Mary hayes says:

I would love to be a candidate thank you!!

30. Caroline Russell says:

I want to be in the trails!

31. Alta says:

Is volunteers considered?

32. Davyd arend says:

i would love to volunteer for this thank you

• Amanda Elliott Amanda Elliott says:

33. […] A team from Columbia University led by Dr. Jeremy Mao made the amazing discovery, where they built a ‘scaffold’ for the tooth made of stem cells, the new tooth could then grow over the template. […]

34. […] recently a team from Columbia University led by Dr. Jeremy Mao made an astonishing discovery. They actually built a ‘scaffold’ for the tooth made of stem […]

35. Gale Parker says:

I would love to volunteer for this procedure please contact me as soon as possible.
    Gale

36. […] leader of a team from Columbian University, Dr. Jeremy Mao came up with the wildest futuristic discovery. He claims that there is a way to […]